Dry Ice Blasting
Thompson’s Dry Ice Blasting, also known as Cryogenic Cleaning, provides a fast, effective, and dry solution for a variety of industries.
Completely Dry Process with No Waste
Dry ice cleaning is a completely dry process. The dry ice pellets consist of CO2 and vaporize immediately on contact with the surface. This unique system produces no waste products and only the coating that has been removed remains to be disposed of. The coating can usually be swept or vacuumed from the floor after the dry ice cleaning process is complete.
Because dry ice blasting is completely non-toxic and no hazardous chemicals are used, the costs associated with the disposal of blasting materials and solvents are substantially decreased. In addition to reducing costs, the additional benefit of no disposal is a decrease in downtime and an increase in cleanliness.
- Non-abrasive, non-flammable & non-conductive
- Fast, effective, and environmentally-friendly
- Contains no secondary contaminants such as solvents or grit media
- Chemical & waste-free
- Clean and approved for use in the food industry
- Allows most items to be cleaned in place (no disassembly)
- Safe for operating machinery – does not create fire hazards
- Highly effective – Removes production residues, release agents, contaminants, paints, oils and biofilms
- Custom cleaning – can be as gentle as dusting smoke damage from books or as aggressive as removing weld slag from tooling or other general cleaning applications
- Food & beverage
- Pulp & Paper
An automobile manufacturer needed a safe way to clean robotic arms and robotic work stations. Spatter and other debris from dirty robotic work area was causing quality issues (defects) in the final product. In another area, grease build-up was creating a safety hazard for maintenance.
We designed, fabricated and tested the tooling and equipment to clean and remove all bio-fouling, waste material, and debris. The customer observed and verified our proprietary cleaning process via video inspection and documentation.
Our team performed diligent pre-planning to understand the plant process and unique needs. We engineered a custom dry ice blasting method that got them back up and running safely and quickly. The manufacturer regained quality output from the robots, and eliminated a crucial safety hazard, thus creating an efficient work environment for maintenance crews. All completed on time and budget.